Monday, February 25, 2013

.....and I'm back!! Curry Shrimp with Coconut Risotto Recipe

I want to apologize to my fellow foodies. I've taken a long break from the Itis files. So many changes has happened since I've last blogged about food. My relationship status has changed, my sister has gotten married, I've picked my photography back up and lots of travel. I hope everyone has been eating well!!



Sea Scallops and Coconut Risotto topped with Basil Ice Cream @ Maple Ave Restaurant


I decided the first post back should be a recipe that Maple Ave Restaurant inspired. I went to brunch with a few friends. I ordered the Sea scallop with coconut risotto and basil ice cream. Yes, it does sound crazy but crazy good that is. The chef used a very common combination from Cambodian cooking / Southeast Asia. The person added coconut milk and green onions to the risotto. I had to make something similar at home to share with love ones.

Will Colbert and I have been plotting a cook off /game night for a long time. In honor of his birthday celebrations, we decided to have a mini cook off.  This was the perfect time for me to try this dish with a few modifications.

I decided to do a curry shrimp dish with coconut risotto without the basil ice cream. It was too fancy for the limited time and limited resources.

I grabbed a box of risotto from Trader Joe and a bag of frozen shrimp. In a rush I made the mistake of picking up a bag of “cooked" shrimp. This is why you don't go shopping when you're in a rush.


Curry Shrimp with Coconut Risotto


The Ingredients List:

1 ½ cup of Risotto/Arborio Rice
1 box or 32 fl oz. chicken stock
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup of White wine (optional)
2 tablespoon Butter
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoon cumin powder
1 - 13.5 fl oz. can of coconut milk
4 stalks – Diced green onions (save a little bit for decorating the plate)
1 lb. - uncooked shrimp peel and devein


Prep:

Peel and devein shrimp
Wash and dice up the green onion
Mince garlic

Let’s get this party started:

In a separate bowl mix the curry and cumin powder, pinch of salt, black pepper, olive oil and shrimp. Mix the seasoning and shrimp. If you have time and prepared this in advance, cover and put the shrimp in the fridge for at least 30 mins. If not it'll be ok and tasty.

In a pot on medium heat add olive oil, garlic and risotto. Sauté ingredients in the pot for a 2 mins add 1/2 cup of white wine (optional), 1/2 of the chicken stock and coconut milk. Stir often then 10 mins later add the rest of the chicken stock. Cook for another 10-15 mins and keep stirring often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  After a total of 20 mins of cooking the risotto, taste and make sure it's cooked. If it's too dry add 1/2 cup of water. If it's still under cooked just continue to cook for an additional 5 mins.   When the risotto is done add the diced green onion and mix into the risotto.

In a sauté pan on medium to high heat throw in the butter, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and the shrimp.  Cook until they turn pink that should be about 5 mins.

Plate your dishes - place risotto and then put shrimp and place some diced/shredded green onions for decoration.

Bon Appetit!!








No comments:

Post a Comment